Is running making me a better employee?
I started running since 2011 and never stopped after that. I've run over 5000 kms so far and ever since I started running, many positive things have happened in my life.
What did running do to me and to my life?
Did it change anything to my work life?
1. a disciplined person… plan, practice (train harder), execute – my races, learning, projects
2. camaraderie, appreciation for people and their work and not to compare with others which is totally meaningless. If there is one, its only within me vs. what I was a month, a year or even a decade before – greater appreciation for my fellow runners and their capabilities, however week or strong they are vs. appreciation towards my colleagues. I cheer for others when I run and I cheer my fellow colleagues
3. how to achieve something in my personal and professional life which is complicated, longer, tougher not to forget very painful – my tough races vs. challenging project situations to deal at work
4. better risk manager - participating in any event, 1000+ things can go wrong...rain, weather, terrain, blisters, fuel, hydration, shoes… - during my runs or while running or at my profession career
5. how to set complicated goals and chop them into bits and pieces - work towards achieving them successfully – my race plan and preparations vs. my life / career plans
6. smile when in pain…and try my best to bounce back really fast - when I’m injured or hurt during a misunderstanding
7. celebrate every milestone… - whenever I touch the finish line or whenever I complete a task successfully, small or big
8. run towards conflict or anything that I never thought that I could do....continuously indulge and learn something, totally enjoy everything that happens on the way, be it success or a different result - coming out my comfort zone and starting something absolutely new at work or. ran the Comrades in 2014 I was fortunate to complete till Drummond (the half way point) despite my foot injury that kept me away from my last one month of training. I've already signed up for the 2015 Comrades up-hill run.
9. exerciser patience and endure to success - my grueling training and races vs. approaching a tough assignment
10. be fit - both physically and mentally - I always believe in getting fit to run than run to get fit....this belief help me in working on the fundamentals
Lastly, I started enjoying nature and its beauties on my way…and also managed to inspire a few...and a million miles more to explore...
Is running making me a better employee? I don't know about it - but it certainly making me a better person.....
I would like to remember and give credits to the three cheerleaders of my life, my wife Meera to be the best critic, my son Aditya to inspire and get inspired by me (a fine athlete in making too) and my sweetest daughter Anjali who totally enjoys funny workout sessions with me along with her friends